Glasses: Dollskill-Quay Top: Tillys Bottom: Victoria Secret-Pink
Summer is coming, and it’s coming fast. We can all think of one thing that summer body! Well there are easy ways of slimming down without sacrificing flavor or spending hours in the kitchen. I’m going to give you some healthy examples that will put you on the fast track to the body you want with out all that BS. Just substitute these ingredients in your recipes. Best part is they are all vegetarian.
- Lentils– loaded with antioxidants that can lower the risks for cancer, diabetes, heart disease; also full of minerals including iron, zinc, potassium and folate
- Balsamic Vinegar– contains polyphenols or inflammation fighters, appears to help lower hypertension
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder– usually you think unhealthy wrong, 2 tablespoons has nearly 4g of fiber and 16% of your daily value of magnesium
- Tomato Paste- research shows you might absorb the lycopene better in cooked tomatoes vs. fresh tomatoes, lycopene is the antioxidant linked to protection against certain types of cancer and skin wrinkles
- Pumkin Seeds– good source of minerals like zinc, iron, vitamin E, rich in lignans plant compounds that help moderate estrogen production
- Barley– keeps heart healthy, rich in fiber, reduces risk of hemroids, maintains a healthy colon
- White Pototoes– if not turned into french fries can be good for you, 140 cal per 5 oz potato, good source of fiber, contains carbs, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals
- Cauliflower– packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, promotes detox
- Artichokes- tough on the outside but soft on the inside; rich in fiber, antioxidants, polyphenols help in fighting cancer
- Parsley- 1 tablespoon = 1 calorie, helps build strong bones, rich in vitamin K and antioxidants
- Chia Seeds– absorb 10 times their weight in water, slows the absorption of glucose and keeps the blood sugar steady, high in fiber, calcium, iron, and zinc
- Sauerkraut– high in probiotics, boots immune system, prevents colon cancer, and can improve mood
So what makes most of these foods “super foods” is the antioxidants. That means these foods have properties that include anti-aging, protecting the body from cell damage that results from free radicals. This includes heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s. I eat these foods all the time. For example pumpkin seeds as snacks, or cauliflower mashed up ( like mashed potatoes) the possibilities are endless. FYI it doesn’t have to be summer to be healthy! These foods taste fucking AMAZING and are worth a try!
Prevention Magazine April 2017
2 thoughts on “Super Foods for That Summer Bod”
I’ll bet it’s fun being a mermaid!
So much fun !
LikeLiked by 1 person